Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My timecard says K5 Assistant but....

...I don't feel like one. I'm so frustrated I could just scream.

My favorite part of being a k5 assistant is the interaction with the kids. Kid writing, math centers, science, fun stuff at holidays. Gone, all gone. My schedule sucks and I really hate it. I'm not a kindergarten assistant because I'm never in one classroom more than 30 minutes at any one time. I only see each teacher for one hour daily. That's it. That's all they see the assistants.

Okay, here's my schedule.

8:30 - 8:45 Door Duty
8:45 - 9:00 Assigned classroom (what I'm goingto accomplish in 15 mintues before announcements I have no idea)
9:00 - 9:30 Mrs. P's class for centers
9:35 - 10:05 Mrs. S's class for centers
10:05 - 10:35 Mrs. W's class for centers
10:35 - 10:50 Break (what the??? Break???)
10:50 - 11:20 K5 Recess
11:20 - 11:40 k5 Lunch
11:45 - 12:10 3rd Grade Recess (did I mention they hired three new playground people?)
12:10 - 12:20 Assigned classroom (yeah, 10 minutes)
12:20 - 12:50 Lunch
12:50 - 1:00 Assigned classroom (uh huh, you read it right, another ten minutes)
1:00 - 1:30 Afternoon Intervention Time (not to be used for kidwriting! What? ) Mrs. S's class
1:30 - 2:00 Afternoon Intervention Time (again, no kid writing) Mrs. W's class
2:00 - 2:30 Afternoon Intervention Time (*sigh* I love kid writing) Mrs. P's class
2:30 - 2:45 Assigned Classroom (not enough time for kid writing)
2:45 - 3:00 Break (what the hell's the point???)
3:00 - 3:15 Assigned classroom (Oh goody, just in time to say goodbye to them)
3:15 - 3:30 Dismiss the kids and clean up the classroom

I hate it.

It sucks.

I'm not a recess aide. I'm a kindergarten aide. Say it with me. K-I-N-D-E-R-G-A-R-T-E-N!!!!

I'm in a shitty mood now.

Even worse for the teachers. Let's add it up. If a teacher has an assistant for the day (one day a week they're without since there are three teachers and two assistants) then they have an assistant for two hours and ten minutes daily. One hour of that time is devoted to intervention centers. The other hour and ten minutes is broken into 10 and 15 minute chunks.

There's isn't support for kid writing (which needs all the support you can get especially at the beginning of the year). There isn't support for those activities that need extra hands. There isn't support for anything. It sucks for them too! I've seen Mrs. P for barely enough time to say hello. I'm in her room tomorrow and won't even see her then either. This really sucks. I love the people I work with, and the kids, but I feel like I'm never doing anything with them.

Did I mention this sucks?

Did I mention I'm in a shitty mood about it?

Did I mention I hate it?

Okay then, 'nuff said. (hmmppphhhh)

1 comment:

Mrs. Aleisha Brixius said...

Did you apply for that other position?